Thursday, April 26, 2012

Top 5 Gamecube Games: The Runners Up

I had a hard time writing the last Top 5 list, primarily because there are so many awesome games on the Nintendo Gamecube.  I had narrowed down a top 10, but the other titles were so awesome that I couldn't just let them get lopped off. For that reason, I'm going to take this week's Top 5 to list numbers 6-10.




10: Baten Kaitos series
The Baten Kaitos franchise was a refreshing take on the card battle RPG engine.  I liked how both games were entirely different styles of gameplay, even though the games took place in the same world.  I would love to see more games like these.

9: F-Zero GX
Now, a lot of people hated on GX, primarily because of how tough it was to control.  Once you get past the touchy steering and actually calibrate your thumb stick, F-Zero GX truly shines.  The variety of the racers is vast, and the overall challenge of the game rewards persistence.  That is why I named it #9

8: Super Mario Sunshine
F.L.U.D.D. captured the hearts of few Mario fans, but Sunshine is one of those rare games that I liked for reinventing the wheel.  It was a whole new direction for the Mario franchise.

7: Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader
Rogue Leader earns this spot for continuing what Rogue Squadron had going for it on the Nintendo 64. Not wanting to stop at graphics updates, they revamped the way the ships operate.  I liked how they included the "charge" mechanic for the X-Wing fighters, blasting from all four cannons at once, but only if it was fully charged.  otherwise, it goes into single shot rapid fire mode.  On top of that, they start the first mission with a recap of the destruction of the Death Star.  It doesn't get much better than opening with a trench run.

6: Animal Crossing
This wacky open world game gets the #6 spot for being such a unique title.  The cartoony atmosphere may aim for a kid-friendly demographic, but it's not always that the demographic it hits. I cannot tell you how many grown men I've met that swear by Animal Crossing games.  It's kind of funny, really.


And with that, I conclude another Top 5.  See you in two weeks!

No comments: