Monday, September 26, 2011

Update: Retail Surveys are Job Security!

I received quite a bit of support and visibility over my retail survey post.  As such, I figured I'd give my readers an update as to what has happened since.  I also want to comment on the comments that I received, as well.
I was floored by how many hits this post had received.  Within 24 hours, I had over 50 page views, and by the end of the week, it was over 200.  That was insane.  I cross-posted that post on GameGrep, N4G, and Raptr, so thanks to all of you who clicked through those links.  There was a significant conversation on Raptr about how it's stupid to chastise employees because of the customer feedback or lack thereof.  Several other comments on other sites included "f*** GameStop," "That's so stupid. You should organize a boycott of GameStop," and similar calls to arms.  I'd like to take a moment to encourage my readers to NOT go out on a rampaging tangent, break up the lynch mob, and put things into perspective.  When I worked at Target, there were similar systems in place.  Ebay and Amazon also run afoul of similar pitfalls.  This isn't a GameStop problem, it's an industry problem.  Every retailer does this.  Nobody is exempt.  Unless you're about to go Amish and live off the land, I'd recommend you tone down the rhetoric and cool your jets.  This isn't something that we can change overnight, but we can definitely make a difference if enough people make a bit of noise.

As for me? I'm doing much better.  It just so happens that the same day that I signed that write-up, numbers came out from the district manager.  My survey numbers had gone up 6 points, from 66 to 72.  These things are always on a little bit of a delay.  Of course, this also hinges on the number of the people that actually fill out the surveys for me.  Since the 1st of the year, I have had a whopping 15 surveys returned for transactions I processed.  Fifteen.  *shifts uncomfortably in chair*  Now, this really hurts me.  Reason being? One less than perfect survey will throw my score down the tubes.  All it takes is one person to troll me softly and I'm sitting there questioning whether I'll still be working in 6 months.

Another person commented on raptr that one business he regularly visited would give free or discounts off their products.  Since GameStop wouldn't give him a coupon or something similar, he said he wouldn't do the survey.  Actually, GameStop does give away gift cards.  Ten of them each month.  For $500.  It's a sizable chunk of change, if you ask me.  I dunno about you, but that's a good motivator.  Also, I'm told that, as a company, the goal of total surveys returned is 2% of all transactions.  Apparently, most stores are considered lucky if they broach the 1.5% mark.  I'd say that as a whole, the odds are quite good.

That's really all I had to say.  Thanks for all the support, and perhaps we might be able to fix this broken system after all.  I'll just end this rant with a little something for my followers:


No comments: