Monday, October 6, 2014

On the topic of #GamerGate: My Promise to you

Ugh, I really didn't want to have to write this article, but it seems like it's pretty much compulsory at this point.



GamerGate has found itself attacked from multiple directions over the past seven weeks.  Over 280,000 unique IP addresses have been involved, people across the spectrum have been d0xed, threats against one's life have been made, and gamers have been likened to ISIS.  All because...why?

The biggest thing I'm hearing from the people is that they don't want to be attacked for their views.  They want to play video games, have fun, and they want journalists who respect them for being constituents.  They want disclosure and less conflict of interest.  They want less of this:
>Sponsorship intensifies
And more of this:
>Gaming intensifies




And frankly, I don't blame 'em.  Being called nasty things, then being told to listen simply doesn't work.  I don't want to do that, and nor should anyone else.  And yet, the solution is so simple.  Treat your readership with respect, and they will support you.  Milo Yiannopoulos said it best:



A disclosure as simple as that shouldn't have to be rewarded, and yet here we are.  And so with that, I have a promise to make to you.

1.) I will not treat you, my readership, like crap.

2.) When I do start receiving games, advertising, or other compensation, I will disclose any and all compensations received.

3.) When I write reviews,  I will speak from my own opinions and views.  I will tell you what I like and dislike, and let you decide for yourself.  I may say it's worth checking out, this game feels like GotY material, but I will always say why with specifics.

If I break any of these rules, please please please call me out on it.  I mean it.  If I make a mistake, I'm not above issuing a mea culpa.  I listen to the people who talk to me, even when they tell me I'm stupid, a rapist, or a journalist beheading terrorist.  That's their right to hold that opinion of me.  Do I think they're stupid for holding it? Of course!  But they're allowed to hold that opinion.

And now, let's go play video games!

Notes:
Thanks to Geoff Keighley for becoming the Dorito Pope
Thanks to Nahinelleinad (http://nahinelleinad.tumblr.com) for the pic of Vivian James

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good article.