Thursday, February 16, 2012

Top 5 Light Gun Games

It's no secret that I have a serious penchant for light gun games.   Something about the actual pointing the gun controller on screen and pulling the trigger lends it a unique feel, something much different than most shooting games out there.  For that reason, I'm going to spend today's Top 5 on my:

Top 5 Light Gun Games


 
5: Duck Hunt

Made of WIN!!!
While only slightly obligatory, Duck Hunt really defined the genre.   It's difficult, if not impossible, to find a fan of light gun games that doesn't want to strangle that stupid dog.


4: Rambo

A more recent entry into the Light Gun genre, this game is actually really well done.  Sega included clips from the original Sylvester Stallone movies, added some well made quick time events, and put together a surprisingly well polished package.  Add in Segata Sanshiro as a spokesman, and you have a recipe for epic win.



3: Area 51

I'll admit it.  Area 51 gave me nightmares as a kid.  I think it was the game over screen that did me in.  Holy crap, that was scary stuff...

See what I mean?  Now that I've had time to really sit down and actually appreciate the game, I've found that Area 51 has aged much more gracefully than most games from that time period.  When Opp and I were at the local movie theater a few months ago, I stumbled upon a cabinet and absolutely had to play a game.  When a game invokes that kind of impulse, you know you've got a winner.

2: Time Crisis 3

Time Crisis 3 captured the best of what made their cover mechanic work, and added in the right amount of over the top crazy action.  It didn't feel as stale as Time Crisis 4, but still genuinely novel.  I also liked that the voice acting actually made sense.  The dialogue in the first two games was too B-movie for my tastes.  It didn't fit as well in this style of game.










1: House of the Dead 3

When a woman says no, she means it!
I chose the third House of the Dead game over the others for a few reasons; the first being the gun controller in the arcades.  They actually recreated the pistol grip shotguns that are used in game.  That's pretty awesome, if you ask me.  The second reason is that the dub actually felt right.  Just like Time Crisis above, the first two entries had that B-movie kitsch to it.  In House of the Dead, that actually works to its advantage.  Rather than make the games really freaky scary, it casts a more lighthearted feel to the game.  It also makes the cutscenes that much more hilarious.


And that concludes this entry into Treasure Bin's Top 5.  See you in two weeks!

No comments: